Ski and Snowboard Club
Take to the Hills at Afton Alps
The Dakota Hills ski and snowboard club is a great way to take advantage of winter in Minnesota. We visit Afton Alps in Hastings. Students can purchase lift tickets and a bus pass at school, or just the bus pass for season pass holders.
Due to bussing restrictions and planning purposes, we must set a maximum capacity. It is important for students to sign up early and ensure they have the necessary equipment ready.
Join the Schoology Group QF4ZK-JD796 for updates and fun information throughout the club season. Get psyched and ready to have fun with your classmates and friends.
By 8 a.m.
- Parents must drive any ski equipment separately to DHMS in the morning. Clothing on bus is allowed, but skis and poles are not.
- Students will check-in at Lecture Room A with a Ski Club Advisor, and store their clothing and equipment in Lecture Room A during the school day. The room is locked during the day.
If you do not check in before 1st period, you may not be able to attend the trip.
At 3 p.m.
- After the final 6th period bell, students should quickly gather materials from their locker and move anything they will need for the weekend to Lecture Room A. They also can get dressed in the nearby bathrooms and mostly prepared to go from the bus to the ski hill.
- By 3:30 p.m., we want to have final bus assignments and attendance taken with all students boarded on their appropriate bus with their ski gear loaded into the bus trailer.
- Students should leave backpacks, iPads and homework in Lecture Room A. We will reopen the room when we return at 9 p.m.
Don’t forget your rental money or checks made out to Afton Alps for Rental.
Arriving at Afton Alps
- A Ski Club Advisor will retrieve the lift tickets and hand them out as students exit the bus.
- IF RENTING EQUIPMENT, quickly walk down the sidewalk to rentals and follow Afton Alps staff for directions.
- Any items you cannot ski with should be stored in the main chalet.
- After completing a rental, students are under the supervision of Afton Alps personnel (various staff and ski patrol - these staff can reach a DHMS Chaperone if required)
Don’t forget to take breaks, stay warm, eat food and drink fluids. Skiing/snowboarding is hard work!
Departing Afton and Returning to DHMS
- Meet at the bus and begin loading the trailer by 8 p.m.
- Chaperones take return attendance.
- Text your parents on the way home alerting them to come pick you up.
- At DHMS, you may enter the front door and gather your belongings from Lecture Room A.
Any items left on the bus or at DHMS will be locked in the Main Office until the following Monday.