DHMS Listening Link
(report concerns here)
Licensed middle and high school counselors provide support for the needs of all students in the areas listed below and follow guidelines established by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA).
- Academic support and guidance
- Career exploration
- College planning
- Personal and social development
- Chemical counseling
- Community resource referrals
- Credit recovery advisement
- Crisis intervention counseling
- Individual counseling
- Goal setting
- Mental health referrals
- Staff and parent consultation
- Student disability support
- Support groups
Counselors design and implement comprehensive programs within their schools that are data-driven and results-focused, and work with students through individual meetings, small groups and classroom settings.
Effective school counseling programs provide increased student achievement, post-secondary school enrollments, improved attendance and test scores and higher academic grades.